Subject: Re: toor - Trivia
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/24/2002 11:55:29
>>> Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org> 24/07/2002 03:20:07 >>>

> On the other hand... why don't we kick toor out completely?

I agree.  I was sad to see the demise of Prof. Stephen Falken,
but I would not miss the Bourne-again user at all.

I dug through the CVS logs for /etc/master.passwd:

It seems hubertf wanted root to have a Bourne shell, but was
vetoed a day later to "Revert to status quo ante (root's shell
is csh, per BSD tradition), pending the proper procedures for
making such a change." on Tue Mar 16 23:24:02 1999 UTC
(3 years, 4 months ago) by jonathan.

The toor user was last removed Sun Mar 14 20:11:06 1999 UTC
(3 years, 4 months ago) by abs, because:

"It was just Plain Wrong to ship a password file that triggers /etc/securit=
y.
Remove toor - if people want another root account, we'll assume they can
copy and modify the root line."

But, it was reinstated Wed Mar 17 03:01:54 1999 UTC (3 years,
4 months ago) by wrstuden less than 3 days later.

It was first disabled Wed Feb 9 00:19:53 1994 UTC (8 years, 5
months ago) by cgd, then had the shell explicitly set Thu Jul 10
06:38:35 1997 UTC (5 years ago) by mikel "to shut up /etc/security"

And so the saga lives on... pending proper procedures. ;-)

Richard.