Subject: Re: toor
To: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2002 13:37:49
In message <Pine.NEB.4.44.0207231928300.409-100000@calchas.unixiron.org>, Micha
el Kukat writes:
>Hi !
>
>On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> >(besides the fast that i hate csh :), but i personally hate changing root's
>> >shell. Maybe scripts depend on it, and maybe you get problems in different
>> >places.
>> >

>> s131$ egrep '^(root|toor)' /etc/passwd
>> root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/ksh
>> toor:*:0:0:Bourne-again Superuser:/root:/bin/csh
>>
>> It's that way on all my machines...
>
>As said... I hate changing the shell of root (but i love ksh, besides some
>minor problems in pdksh compared to "real" ksh), but it's a matter of
>everybody's own opinion. NetBSD is quite fine here with the static shells. But
>don't try this under Solaris or Linux. You know what i mean, if your libc gets
>damaged for some reason.

Yah.  My point was that on NetBSD, it works; I haven't seen any
problems with scripts, etc., and I've been running this way since I
switched to NetBSD about 16 months ago.  I ran that way on BSD/OS for
many years; I did have a few problems there, but those were mostly
caused by some funky aliases in my .env file.

So -- switch, and stop cursing every time you 'su' and try to use
ksh-style command-line editing instead of csh's...

		http://www.wilyhacker.com ("Firewalls" book)