Subject: Re: ftp.perl.org
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2002 11:29:56
* Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net> [020722 17:26]:
> On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Rasputin wrote:
>
> > What I was asking is why ftp isn't resolving the name when
> > dig and host do?
>
> ftp uses lookups as defined by nsswitch.conf; dig and host use DNS.

Fair enough, but nsswitch.conf just says:

1rasputin@idoru:rasputin$ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:          files dns
# hosts:                dns, files, nis

If there was a [notfound=return] after the files I could understand it,
but even swapping them around does the same thing.
	Does anyone else see this for this host, or have I just hit a quirk
	on my DNS?

> (You might want to consider trying simple gethost package.)

> > A ktrace shows it's appending my local domain to the name, presumably
> > because it doesn't like the CNAME???
>
> I didn't see the previous messages in this thread, but does your
> resolv.conf use the "search" and/or "domain" configurations?

Nope, resolv.conf is just:

# Created by dhclient at: Tue Jul 23 09:03:08 BST 2002
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 194.168.4.100
nameserver 194.168.8.100