Subject: Re: using ISDN adapter for FAX
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Frank Luedke <netbsd@desiato.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/22/2002 19:36:21
Am Mon, 2002-07-22 um 12.22 schrieb Wojciech Puchar:

> is it possible to answer connections coming from classic FAX/modem?
>
> is special hardware needed (ISDN adapter with signal processor) or
> software emulation exist?

  I don't know how to set this up on NetBSD, but the biggest
 problem is that you must configure to use your digital (ISDN)
 card/modem to work with analogue signals. With Linux and Hylafax
 it's officially *not* possible to get this to work, because you
 need a CAPI to get this to work, because -- The only company supporting
 CAPIs for Linux is AVM. You can get a special CAPI support for
 your AVM card, with that you can get it to run on Linux.

  If you know C you could maybe port the Linux Capi for the AVM cards
 to NetBSD :) You can download the sources (and SuSE binaries) for
 the AVM-Capi support at their ftp-server ftp.avm.de.

  The AVM-Capi support works only with Hylafax ! If you have an active
 ISDN card (like the AVM A1), it should be very easy to set this up,
 as the active cards do most of the Capi stuff by their own. But they
 are very expensive.

  Hope this helps a bit :)

-fl