Subject: Re: trailing commas in GECOS field with chfn
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/12/2002 12:25:28
On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:58:33PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
>
> > afaik, those commas have been there for a looong time.  it might be
> > easier to fix the mail client that's getting it wrong.  if it knows to
> > look up gecos, it ought to know to look for commas in it.
>
> I agree. About the only application I've seen that did NOT handle them
> was some obsolete SunOS4.0.x application. 10 years ago, when I was young.

That aside, when a new account is set up, there are no commas in it. A
user can add them, but cannot remove them. Adding them happens as a
side-effect of changing the user's shell, or at least it did last time I
tried.

For those users who care, I would consider a mechanism to remove them to
be sensible, regardless of whether they should or shouldn't be filtered
out by $favourite_application.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget