Subject: Re: rdist and ssh
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/08/2002 15:33:08
On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 07:22:13PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:30:29 +0100
>     From:        Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
>
>   | rdist(1) calls rcmd(3).
>
> But dump does not...   dump -f host:/dev/tape requires rsh as currently
> implemented.

Rereading carefully :) The above suggests you know the cause of the
difference in behaviour as to whether you use rsh or ssh with rcmd(). What
is it? I can't spot the difference.

dump : uses rcmd() to run "rmt"
rdist: uses rcmd() to run "rdist -Server"

Both use rcmd() which uses RCMD_CMD to start the remote program.

You find that dump doesn't work with ssh, I find that rdist doesn't work
with ssh.

What do ssh and rsh do differently? The remote program *is* started - Why
does it matter what was used to start it?

Cheers,

Patrick

PS thanks to all for suggestions for workarounds eg rdist6, sdist..