Subject: Re: rdist and ssh
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2002 10:23:40
David S. wrote:

> > I seem to be the only one moaning about rdist and RCMD_CMD=/usr/bin/ssh not
> > working - are any of you using it?
>
> 'rsync', from 'pkgsrc/net', can do everything that 'rdist' does (I think),
> and works fine over 'ssh'.

rdist has facilities for running commands remotely that rsync doesn't
have.  As a replacement for rdist, rsync is more efficient(*), has
less bugs and is actively maintained.  So it's quite possible that
nobody on this list is using rdist and ssh together.

* Per noise on the list last time rsync was mentioned: yes, it uses
  checksums.  If you are transferring data for which the checksums are
  insufficient protection then rsync may not be appropriate. :-)

Regards,

Giles