Subject: Re: automatic login
To: David S. <davids@idiom.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2002 21:31:39
David S. said:

>Under US DoD (and possibly DoE) procedures, systems holding classified
>information are "air-gapped" - no physical connections to any non-secure
>system.  I read somewhere (and this may be apocryphal) that day after the
>Melissa virus hit, a sys admin at Sandia checked one of the air-gapped
>networks and found numerous copies of the virus.

I have worked on systems with NO connections to the internet. no phonelines.
NSA encryption routers.

I've worked in environments where the network was scanned 3 or 4 times a day
for open ports.

OpenBSD says it is secure because it ships with all ports turned off. They
don't promise anything about turning some arbitrary port on...

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com