Subject: syslogd message lossage
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <xs@kittenz.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/31/2002 20:49:07
Hi,
I have a machine running NetBSD 1.5.3_RC1.

Just now, I went to log into it remotely and use su to check on something.
After su authenticated, it (su) hung. So I went to the console of the
machine and found that scroll lock had been left on.  Upon switching off
scroll lock, many messages predictably filled the screen.

The last entry in /var/log/authlog before I switched scroll lock off was
dated 3 days ago. Yet I had successfully logged in a few minutes ago via
ssh. Logins and various activities (it has a web server of sorts) didn't
appear in any log files, even after scroll lock was switched off.

Would I be correct in concluding that the scroll back buffer had become
full, and so writing to /dev/console blocked, causing syslogd to block
and miss information?  If so, should syslogd use O_NONBLOCK to open files?

Thanks!