Subject: Re: pkgsrc via cvs instead of sup
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Knappe <knappe@tu-harburg.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/21/2002 23:17:37
On Mon, 20 May 2002, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

It seems that the subscribing to this list takes longer
than I expected. Netbsd-help was done in a few minutes.

> > I want now test if cvs is faster for me. Do I have to make
> > a checkout first:
> > cvs checkout -PA pkgsrc
> > or can I start with
> > cvs -d $CVSROOT update -PAd pkgsrc
> > as described in the NetBSD-Guide?
>
> The latter should work, now that "sup" delivers the CVS directories.

Due to a Cut&Paste error I made a full checkout on top of my
pkgsrc based on a sup run last weekend.

> Most people find "sup" to be faster -- "cvs" is only preferred for
> it's flexibility, not for it's speed. That would be interesting if
> "cvs" turned out to be faster than "sup" for you. I upgrade one
> workstation about once a month via "cvs" over a 19200 modem
> connection, and I don't think it takes more than an hour.

I made today only a cvs update, but it seems to me that cvs is getting
all files again (right now im in the net section and the inbound traffic
reaches 5MB). So what can be the reason for strange and unwanted
behaviour? Can be a wrong time on my computer the reason? That I will fix
after this cvs run.

> > Another question regarding the last line of this section in the guide.
> > Do I really have to make the make clean before every update?
>
> Only if you leave work directories lying around. If you make clean
> after every update, then of course you don't have to before the next
> one.

For most of the pkgsrc packgaes I make a make update when there
are new versions. Unfortunatly this results in long compile jobs,
because the whole kde has to be compiled, like with libxml2 today.

What can happen if there are still some work directories?

Ciao , Frank .