Subject: Re: OT: apple's marketing is just insolent
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/21/2002 02:44:56
On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:16:43AM +0200, Emiel Kollof wrote:
> * Chris Pinnock (cjep@fawlty.net) wrote:
> > On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 02:28:32AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > > I notice that with NetBSD, FreeBSD, and Linux if I run the same kind of
> > > applications that are on MacOS X. MacOS _is_ FreeBSD after all.
> >
> > Do an "ident *" in /bin on a MacOS X system. There's some code
> > originating from NetBSD and OpenBSD in there.
>
> Good that you raise that point. To the original poster:
>
> The claim that OSX or Darwin _is_ FreeBSD is hardly an educated claim. I've
> seen/heard people claiming that OSX/Darwin is FreeBSD, and I always have
> to prove 'em wrong (since I own a mac that has OSX running on it).

No need to prove anyone wrong.  The only point in the posting was that
Apple was insulting the foundation of their own OS, because it includes
pieces of what they were making fun of.

But outside of marketing, I think Apple is doing good work and is trying
pretty hard.  I hope the IOKit ideas work out.  Right now there isn't
much going on with x86 drivers, and it's too bad some of the x86 drivers
for Rhapsody didn't get ported over to Darwin.

--
UNIX/Perl/C/Pizza__________________________________shannon@widomaker.com