Subject: Boot Problems on SPARC2 after running 'sysinst'
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Beaker <beaker@myrealbox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2002 12:59:46
After running 'sysinst' on a Sun SPARC2 with the defaults (minus the

---
Boot device:  /sbus/esp@0,800000 sd0,3   File and args:   netbsd
SCSI device 3,0 is not responding
Can't open boot device
---
 I've tried several variations on the 'boot' command:

boot netbsd -s
boot sd() netbsd -s

All give same response. I should note that the NVRAM on this machine is dead
and I did the following at initial boot to spoof an ethernet/host id:

setenv diag-switch? false
0 f mkp
8 0 20 AA BB CC AABBCC mkpl
^D ^R
boot

    where AA - CC are the last three hex values from the machine's local IP4
ethernet address -     ie for 192.168.2.3 => AA=a8, BB=02, CC=03

This worked well enough to boot from a floppy set, run sysinst & fetch the
binaries via ftp. After sysinst did its thing it printed "...the machine
should now boot from the hard disk", at which point I selected 'reboot
machine', leading to the errors mentioned.

I'm a novice wrt SPARCs => I'm probably missing something obivious here but
I don't know what.  For reference, here is the results of 'probe-scsi all'
(at the 'ok' prom prompt):

ok  probe-scsi all
Target  0
    Unit  0    Disk    DEC    DSP3107LS    441C00004998033!
all  ?
ok

TIA,
Beaker - clueless in Eugene, OR