Subject: Re: Question on "request sense failed" message on siop
To: Bri <itai@replic.net>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2002 23:00:02
On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 09:49:17AM -0700, Bri wrote:
> (already sent to port-i386, but not suere if it got though.)
>
>  I've got a NetBSD 1.5.2 stable box with a 53c895 SCSI HBA on it. During
> bootup, with a Seagate (and only this Seagate) drive attached I get this
> message that says "request sense failed."
>
>  Its odd though, because the drive is currentley the / partition and seems
> to function fine. Just wondering if anyone knew if this was something to
> worry about or if they knew exactley what this means.
>
>  Dmesg below .. Thanks in advance.
>

> siop0: switching to single-ended mode
> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> siop0: target 0 using tagged queuing
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <SEAGATE, ST39204LC, 0005> SCSI3 0/direct
> fixed
> siop0: target 0 using 16bit transfers
> siop0: target 0 now synchronous at 20.0Mhz, offset 31
> sd0: 8683 MB, 14384 cyl, 3 head, 412 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 17783239
> sectors
> request sense failed
> request sense failed

Strange. Would be interesting to keep track of I/O between the disk and
driver, but this would need adding code to the driver.

I don't think it's something to worry about; it looks like this drive has
a non-standart behavior under some circunstances, but this will likely only
affect probe/attach.

Could you try to boot a current kernel (a GENERIC from a snapshot would be
enouth) as request sense handling has been reworked for the new scsi subsystem.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>