Subject: Re: FreeBSD user questions
To: None <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2002 14:10:13
On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:04:04AM +0100, rasputin@idoru.mine.nu wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> just migrated my box from FreeBSD-stable to NetBSD-stable
> (ur, I think? Not got my head round CVS tags yet)
>
> Just wondered how you folks figure out if your packages are out of date?

make show-downlevel does a quick'n'dirty comparison of installed packages
vs. the version in pkgsrc, and the target will cd into SUBDIRS. It doesn't
fare too well with packages which have development or -current versions,
but, like I said, it's quick'n'dirty.

In addition, as David has already mentioned, there are other ways of cracking
this one.

> I'd try a make search for a package to do it, but rebuilding INDEX
> takes days.... :(

In the top level of pkgsrc, there's a shell script called pkglocate which
can show up some interesting things.

> man -k pkg didn't show up anything obviously useful.
>
> [ For those who don't know, pkg_version on FreeBSD basically
> checked your ports, sorry, package tree against the packages you
> have installed and tells you which are out of date. ]
>
> Also, I'm reading source-changes and wanted to know how I can tell
> if a message releates to current or -rnetbsd-1-5, just so I can tell
> what's happening in the source tree?

The branch tag (if any) is present in the Subject line. If you're interested
in following changes to pkgsrc, there's a separate pkgsrc-changes list.

Regards,
Alistair