Subject: Re: learning the full power of 'ed'
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/28/2002 14:35:09
[ On Saturday, April 27, 2002 at 15:51:52 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Terse device names
>
> Iggy Drougge said:
>
> >I hear that contemporary Linux distributions feature Nano as their minimal
> >editor. Nano is much easier to use than either ED or VI. Wouldn't this be
> >something to put in NetBSD, too (GNU contamination aside)?
>
> For an excellent ed tutorial find a copy of the Coherent OS manual. It has
> a chapter devoted to using ed.

Brian Kernighan's original tutorial ("A Tutorial Introduction to the
UNIX Text Editor") that is included in Volume 2 of the early Research
UNIX manuals (eg. V7, 32V, V8 too I think, etc.) was what I remember
reading first, and of course that document is now freely available as
part of the V7 distribution (from Caldera):

	http://www.tuhs.org/archive_sites.html

and also freely available in Dennis Ritchie's distribution of the Unix
Seventh Edition Manual:

	http://plan9.bell-labs.com/7thEdMan/

Kernighan's followup paper, "Advanced Editing on UNIX", also in vol.2,
takes one down the path of learning the true power of 'ed'.

NOTE:  Most of what you learn about 'ed' is applicable to 'ex' and thus
to 'vi'!  If you're a 'vi' user and expect to continue using 'vi' for
the forseeable future, it would do you a world of good to become an 'ex'
expert, and a good way to start is to become an 'ed' expert first!

Unfortunately this documentation does not seem to be freely
redistributable, so you have to get it from the horse's mouth, so to
speak, and it doesn't yet seem possible to include it in *BSD.

--
								Greg A. Woods