Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Iggy Drougge <iggy@kristallpojken.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/27/2002 23:30:52
Curt Sampson skrev:

>On 23 Apr 2002, Iggy Drougge wrote:

>> But that's going at it the other way around. It's adapting a cryptic
>> pro system to the beginner, and expecting him to do it himself....

>I see the problem. NetBSD is not a beginner's operating system, sorry.
>I think you want to be using Windows instead.

That's a very mean thing to say. I don't run a single Windows machine and
have no intention to do so.

>It's always the case that tools that are good in one environment
>will have failings in another. NetBSD is never going to be as easy
>to use as Windows, and Windows is never going to be as good for
>beginning programmers to learn from. So NetBSD should not compromise
>things like the ease of associating device names with their function
>names in the kernel just to fail at becoming as easy to use as
>windows.

I think you're turning this into a meaningless Windows contra UNIX argument.
It doesn't have to be thick and impenetrable as Windows, yet not as cryptic as
a traditional UNIX system. After all, I'm not talking about a full-fledged in-
kernel GUI, just a bit clearer names when you type "ifconfig" (which AFAIK you
can't do in Windows).
Besides, I think one must first open a source file to see the function
names, and not the other way around, and once you've reached the stage where
you're looking in those files, you're probably not all that bothered about
function names. And if that's the case, SED can do wonders, can't it?

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

Wenn ich ein Junge wär / das wußte ich so gut / was so ein junger Boy / aus
lauter Liebe tut / ich würde in die Schwulenscene gehn / und sexy Boys den
Kopf verdrehn / ich hätt genug Verkehr / wenn ich ein Junge wär.
  Wenn ich ein Junge wär - Nina Hagen