Subject: Re: stat(1)
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2002 16:30:59
Op woensdag 24 april 2002 16:37, schreef Jan Schaumann:

> There appears to have been a thread regarding the implementation of a
> userland stat(1) command a few months back on current-users, but without
> any conclusion.  Is anybody still working on this?  How much work is
> left?  Is it intended to be included?

I know linux has a stat(1) command, but I usually end up hacking something
together with C. It's not rocket science.

struct stat st;
stat(filename, &st);

and then pick out of the stat struct what information you like. It's all
documented in the man page.

I believe the general consensus was on the current list that it was too
trivial to implement yourself, and so it was dropped, although some
discussion did arise about having a stat(1) for use in shell scripts included
in the base system. Dunno where that discussion went.

Cheers,
Emiel

--
Segmentation fault (core dumped)