Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Andrew Basterfield <list@lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2002 01:31:54
On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:41:17 -0400 (EDT)
"Thomas Mueller" <tmueller@bluegrass.net> wrote:

> ed is for people who have a second computer where they can have the man
> page for ed showing, then they can walk back and forth as needed to find
> how to do what is needed.  NetBSD ed man page can be downloaded from
> online in plain text or HTML and copied to a floppy.  Second computer
> wouldn't have to have any BSD; DOS would be good enough.
>
> I actually copied files to be edited to floppy disk in netbsd directory
> for editing using elvis 2.1.4 under Linux or DOS, which meant an extra
> reboot.  I guess I could also sneakernet to the older computer with that
> floppy disk and edit with elvis 2.1.4 DOS version on that computer.

Why, when you could just use 'vi', or better still you could install
'joe'? Joe is smaller than 'vi', more intuitive (mode-less) and works the
same way as editors I have grown up with on other platforms have.

-Andrew

--
sparc sun4c stuff : http://www.lostgeneration.freeserve.co.uk/sparc
personal email    : bob at lostgeneration dot freeserve dot co dot uk