Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2002 08:41:17
reed@reedmedia.net (Jeremy C. Reed) writes:
> NetBSD is already easier to use than Windows.

except for "ed":

> I recall reading this tongue-in-check piece extolling the virtues of
> the "ed" editor.  The line that stuck in my mind was "ed is for people
> that can remember what they are doing."

> -wolfgang

ed is for people who have a second computer where they can have the man page
for ed showing, then they can walk back and forth as needed to find how to do
what is needed.  NetBSD ed man page can be downloaded from online in plain text
or HTML and copied to a floppy.  Second computer wouldn't have to have any BSD;
DOS would be good enough.

I actually copied files to be edited to floppy disk in netbsd directory for
editing using elvis 2.1.4 under Linux or DOS, which meant an extra reboot.  I
guess I could also sneakernet to the older computer with that floppy disk and
edit with elvis 2.1.4 DOS version on that computer.

Tim Baldwin of IBM wrote a Tiny Editor for DOS and 16-bit OS/2, executable is
slightly < 10000 bytes for DOS, slightly more for OS/2, and is much more
user-friendly than ed.  He should have ported to Unix!  Because of outstanding
functionality for such small size, Tiny Editor is used on OS/2 installation
diskettes where necessary to edit the installation CONFIG.SYS.  Tiny Editor is
strictly character mode, no graphic interface.