Subject: Re: Terse device names
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
From: Iggy Drougge <iggy@kristallpojken.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2002 14:59:51
Richard Rauch skrev:

>Actually, NetBSD *does* ship with *3* shells that support command-line
>history.  Try any of sh, csh, or ksh.  They also support aliases and
>scripts, providing other ways to reduce one's typing.  (^&

Oh, but I said /in a useful way/. It's either not activated by default, or
over-complicated and user-unfriendly. !25 really isn't as nice as arrow-up.
Have you tried BASH or ZSH?

>But, also bear in mind that, e.g., the tlp (Tulip chipset & clones) driver
>is in a source file with a tlp prefix, and a lot of internal
>structures/functions have a tlp_ prefix.  (Actually, the file I was
>looking at had tlp_pci_ as the file- and structure-prefix.)

OTOH, UNIX has a lot of complex commands for manipulating text.

>Perhaps someone who knows more about the way that the system works from
>source can say how functionally necessary this is.  But certainly, it
>makes it easy to *find* the files and structures.  So to change the names
>would implicitly suggest/require changing the files.  And from there, you
>have left the realm of what a history-buffer in your shell can help you
>with.  If developers use #define macros to type ``tlp'' in the source,
>that would defeat the value of matching names.  If they have to type Tulip
>everywhere, it would make it appreciably harder to read and write sources.

What the sources look like internally is of no interest to the end user. The
programmer may call all their includes and procedure foo, bar and joe for all
I'm concerned. I don't mind at all.

>If your sole concern is to identify the hardware readily, I suggest
>perusing dmesg (or /var/log/messages).  If the information there is still
>too terse, turn up the verbosity of your kernel.  Of course, it still may
>not be too helpful.  The kernel can't read the stickers on the card...

I've got an OpenBSD machine whose dmesg gets filled with "de0: parity error"
or something like that, which in turn causes the boot-up messages to roll off
the history. ;-)
Besides, dmesg is only a workaround. But hey, why couldn't NetBSD use an alias
system, so that lamers like me could type elink, whereas programmers and
people who use ifconfig a lot type ep?

--
En ligne avec Thor 2.6a.

VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
        You are the logical type and hate disorder.  This nitpicking is
        sickening to your friends.  You are cold and unemotional and
        sometimes fall asleep while making love.  Virgos make good bus
        drivers.