Subject: Re: No pcnfsd in /etc/rc.d
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/16/2002 08:36:46
On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 03:03:11PM +0100, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > Is there particular reason why there is no /etc/rc.d/pcnfsd or
> > /etc/rc.d/rpc.pcnfsd? rpc.pcnfsd is part of the base sets, so I'd have
> > thought it should be in there. Shall I write one and send-pr it?
>
> I don't know what's our policy here: provide a (commented out) line in
> inetd.conf or provide a script (or both) ?

I've never heard of running pcnfsd from inetd before (besides some
(broken) clients cache port numbers, thus meaning they can't connect if
pcnfsd is restarted).

I believe rpc.pcnfsd to be in the same family as rpc.bootparamd,
etc. They have their own entries in /etc/rc.d. I've had to write my own
/etc/rc.d/pcnfsd script for a project, but I won't go to the effort of
send-pr'ing it if the consensus is that pcnfsd is evil.

(Aside: OK, our pcnfsd is broken and even less secure than it
need be: see bin/12758).

--
Stephen