Subject: Re: Setting up pppoe[success]
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2002 21:35:49
On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 10:58 AM, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> ipthomas@mac.com wrote:
>
>> 	There is, however, one problem that I haven't found a solution for
>> yet.  I have the option USEPEERDNS set, but /etc/resolv.conf is not
>> being filled in with Verizon's DNS server IP's.  I can leave my
>> college's DNS severs in it, but I'd like to use Verizon's.  OS X has no
>
> Regarding DNS, I have this in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
>   DNSTYPE=SERVER
>   USEPEERDNS=yes
> If DNSTYPE is 'SERVER' rp-pppoe creates /etc/resolv,conf as a link to
> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, which is created by pppd when pppd gets the
> option 'usepeerdns'.
>
> Please check (ps -auxww | grep pppd) whether your pppd got the
> 'usepeerdns'
> option (via USEPEERDNS=yes in pppoe.conf) and whether
> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
> contains your name server IP-addresses.
>
> If you like, you can also set 'PPPD_EXTRA="debug"' in pppoe.conf and
> pppd will show you some debug output via syslog. To see this, you have
> (temporarily) add this to /etc/syslog.conf:
>
>   daemon.debug                       /var/log/daemon.log
>
> create /var/log/daemon.log (touch /var/log/daemon.log) and send a HUP
> signal to the 'syslogd' process (/etc/rc.d/syslogd reload).
>
> After you establish your DSL connection you should see (among other
> lines)
> something like:
>
>   rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x3 <addr w.x.y.z> <ms-dns1 a.b.c.d>
>   <ms-dns3 e.f.g.h>]
>
> in /var/log/daemon.log. ms-dns1 and ms-dns3 should be the name server
> addresses pppd puts into /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.
>
> Maybe you want to remove the 'daemon.debug' entry from /etc/syslog.conf
> and PPPD_EXTRA=debug when your done, otherwise the log file will grow
> indefinitely.
>

> ciao
>      Klaus

	Thanks for the info.  I used debug mode and found that when I had
no /etc/resolv.conf file or when the resolv.conf file already had IP's
for nameservers, I wouldn't be sent any.  When I had an empty
/etc/resolv.conf file, I would get DNS IP's, but still wouldn't resolve
IP addresses.  What straightened the whole thing out was making a
symbolic link to /etc/resolv.conf from /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.  Apple's OS
X does something similar only uses /var/run/resolv.conf.
	Once my second NIC arrives my Mac will sit safely behind the dual
home host NetBSD IPF firewall.
	If you ever want to run debugging mode try

setenv DEBUG 1

	and then run adsl-start.  To switch it off again

unsetenv DEBUG

	It's a few keystrokes less than editing the config file.  rp-pppoe
also puts the debug info in /tmp so no need to fiddle with syslog.conf.
Thanks again for the help.

Ian