Subject: Backing up trees for reinstall
To: NetBSD users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2002 15:12:09
--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

Hi all,

I would like to move my NetBSD installation from wd1 to wd0. The problem
is that this task is very tedious, but the worst thing is that it is
relatively slow in my computer.

The slowest things are compiling X11, all the packages I have in /usr/pkg,
and the like. So, I would like to copy my current /usr/X11R6, /usr/pkg and
/usr/local to my new installation.

For /usr/X11R6 I think there will be no problem. I'm using xpkgwedge, so
this directory only contains X11 base system. For /usr/pkg, I think I'll
also have to copy /var/db/pkg. Although... shall I copy the entire /var
directory to the new install?

And at last, as I'm running current, would I also backup all the binary
directories, so I do not have to build the world to get all pkg's working?

Well, I'm thinking now that I would backup ALL the directories and copy
over the new installation, that is, I'll install a 1.5ZA from february
and then untar my 1.5ZC directories over the new install. I guess I have
to use the -p option to tar, but any other?

Thanks a lot.

PS: Maybe I should start a new installation without backing up any
packages... I would cleanup several unused ones hehe

--=20
Of course it runs NetBSD - http://www.netbsd.org
Julio Merino <jmmv@hispabsd.org>

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb