Subject: Re: Korn shell behaviour
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Grace <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/12/2002 12:18:52
>>> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@research.att.com> 12/04/02 11:57:44 >>>
>
> What ksh did you use on Solaris?

On Solaris, I use /bin/ksh (the real Korn shell).  The line below in my
.profile sets my environment when I log in so that I have vi on the
command line, and things like <esc>\ as filename completion.

  if [ $SHELL =3D=3D '/bin/ksh' ]
   then set -o vi
  fi

Which (my mistake) also works on FreeBSD and NetBSD, when using
pdksh 5.2.14.  I just logged in to double check... *wipes egg off face*.

But, logging in as root (with /bin/csh as default shell) I cannot exec
ksh and set vi commands in one statement as such:

  # exec ksh -o vi

and must instead do:

  # exec ksh
  # set -o vi

which is weird, since there should be no difference between FreeBSD
and NetBSD - since they both use pdksh 5.2.14.

> There are a fair number of minor incompatibilities, and one of these
> days I'm going to get around to downloading Dave's and compiling it.

I realise that things are not 100% but for my daily use between the
different systems, I have no issue - pdksh is a blessing ;-)

Richard.