Subject: Re: netbsd equivalent to linux's 'ls -lh'?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2002 15:19:51
On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:22:38AM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Julio Merino wrote:
> > For example, why colorls is in pkgsrc when it could be a part of the base
> > system, like in FreeBSD?
>
> Probably because it's hideous and distracting, and no one likes it. :-)

The last time I saw this discussion go around:

It makes ls, one of the most frequently used utils, larger.
It does color the 'wrong' way, that won't work on every termcap
	type. To do it the 'right' way, would make it _much_ larger.
It causes a stat of every file in the directory, to determine the type,
	etc, while normal ls just reads the dir (unless you do -l, etc)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,