Subject: Re: X11 packages outside /usr/X11R6
To: NetBSD Users list <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio Merino <slink@unixbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/06/2002 19:53:06
On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 05:34:35PM +0200, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 02:12:34PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> > Hi all
> >=20
> > I would like to take out all my X11 packages from /usr/X11R6. They
> > would be better if they were in something like /usr/X11R6.pkg or
> > even in /usr/pkg.
> >=20
> > Would I do this? I've seen something in Packages.txt about installing
> > those packages in /usr/pkg... but what about /usr/X11R6.pkg?
>=20
> The xpkgwedge package will place all the packages which would
> normally go into /usr/X11R6 into /usr/pkg. (In fact, it  places
> packages which would normally go into X11BASE into LOCALBASE).

Well, but is this package "trustable"? I mean... won't it bring me
trouble, specially when compiling programs by hand (not with pkgsrc)?

>=20
> You could set up /usr/X11R6.pkg to have a symlink farm back to
> /usr/X11R6, or use null mounts to accomplish the same thing, and
> then set X11BASE (in /etc/mk.conf) to be /usr/X11R6.pkg, but it's
> a trifle convuluted, from where I'm sitting.
>=20
> We've never had a request like this before, however, so there might
> be a better way of doing it.

The thing is that I would like to keep /usr/X11R6 intact, as it is
when you install it from /usr/xsrc. I think this would be better for
doing upgrades (I would remove the directory and reinstall without
much trouble).

Thanks.

>=20
> Regards,