Subject: Re: 720k floppies no longer supported ?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <klaus.heinz@onlinehome.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2002 03:52:57
Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> > I had no problems formatting DD disks with Windows as 720K disks.

> formatted with MSDOS, because it really seems to work better. All you
> have to do, to try that, is to create a floppy tab entry containing
> ":interleave#2:", and invoke it with "fdformat -t".

Thanks for this hint, but it did not work for me. The same random errors
with interleave 1, 2 or even 3.

As mentioned in a previous mail I used a Linux system on a floppy disk
to successfully format about 20 disks. I also reactivated my FreeBSD
partition and formatted 9 out of 10 disks.

Writing/reformatting with NetBSD on those disks did not work.

This leads me to the conclusion that the problem with 720KB DD disks
is not related to my hardware (disks or drives) but there's a problem
hiding in NetBSD.

ciao
     Klaus