Subject: erratic sparc serial console
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/17/2002 19:36:38
Hi folks, I just installed NetBSD-1.5.2 on a Sun SparcStation 4 (sun4m)
I've got here.  The install was done via serial console, the client
being NetBSD-1.5.3_ALPHA on an x86.

Not really any issues during the install (although the flashing of the
timezone selection screen was slow and annoying over serial line).

Anyway my real problem is, having not configured networking during the
install (I have done it several times on x86 installs, and each time,
the networking options are not saved, so I don't bother doing it at
install time anymore.. I should file a pr), I figured I'd just set it up
by hand in rc.conf after booting.

Well, when I open rc.conf (or any file) in vi, it's very difficult to
use: when it looks like I'm on (e.g.) line 10 I will try to edit the
line, and after refreshing the screen find out I edited the wrong line.
Also scrolling through the file makes large whitespace gaps appear, then
after a refresh they go away.. all sorts of various display problems
like this.

I did see this in the FAQ, unfortunately it was not effective against my
problem:

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html#cgsix-framebuffer-garbage

Any ideas?  Thanks.