Subject: Re: German "Umlauts" in vi
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Dinsen-Hansen <dino@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2002 12:19:58
Hi!
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 08:02:54 +0100 (CET), Michael Kukat wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Christoph Kaegi wrote:
>> > When I READ Mails with mutt (editor there is vi too) vi shows me
>> >the correct character (oe, ae and so on). But if I write mails with
>> >vi (like now ;)) it's impossible to get the correct characters.
>>
>> I use the following mappings in ~/.vimrc:
>
>vim !=3D vi in NetBSD. vim just is capable of "Umlauts" out of the box, =
just vi
>has a bit problems with this.

Vi has no problem with umlauts and other 8 bit characters.  Vi just
uses the library functions c_type, toupper, tolower.

These functions are the "good old" standard 7 bit ascii versions.
They may be enhanced to cover any 8 bit alphabet, as e.g. "Latin1".  I
call my patches "dirty" because they do not help our Eastern European
and Asian friends.

However, my patches do help Western Europeans, people of the two
Americas, most Africans, as well as most others who use the Latin1
alphabet.  For them a word will be a word, even if it contains
diacritic letters.  And a word like Danish "bl=E5b=E6rgr=F8d" can be
converted to "BL=C5B=C6RGR=D8D" by means of the vi-sequence: =
-  German "=DF" and Dutch ij-ligature will be unchanged by the "~"
command.

----
Hans Dinsen-Hansen
http://www.danbbs.dk/~dino/