Subject: Re: German "Umlauts" in vi
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/11/2002 07:59:40
On 2002.02.10 14:40, Martin Gerbing wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I READ Mails with mutt (editor there is vi too) vi shows me the correct character (oe, ae and so on). But if I write mails with vi (like now ;)) it's impossible to get the correct characters.

I use the following mappings in ~/.vimrc:

-------------------------------------- 8< --------------------------------------
imap ae ä
imap ue ü
imap oe ö

This maps my typing ae in vi(m) to ä, oe to ö and ue to ü.

This solve the Problem of typing umlauts, but creates some others, for example
typing english words like daemon or queue. Or even pasting them from
crontab, for example!
But you get used to type 'u<space><backspace>e'...

Hope this helps

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch