Subject: Re: etc chains...
To: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars@larsshack.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2002 10:42:16
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:

> If I'm going to be dropping actual files in /etc/rc.d, I want the package
> management system to know about it, and to remove them when I remove the
> package.

That's not a bad idea, distinguishing "/etc/rc.d" from the rest of
"/etc". I don't think any one's ever proposed exactly that before.

> Maybe packages rc scripts should go somewere like /etc/pkg/rc.d or
> something; then /etc/rc could be modified to do this:
>
>   files=`rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/* /etc/pkg/rc.d/*`

That seems like a reasonable compromise. ${PKG_SYSCONFDIR} should also
be set to "/etc/pkg" (else you have no support, again, for /usr/pkg/etc
that's not on the root filesystem). That's another compromise -- the way
sysinstall supports upgrading and merging of "/etc" (not at all!), I
like having the package files somewhat segregated, but putting the start
up files on a separate file system is just not supportable.

Frederick