Subject: Re: Multiple smarthosts for SMTP (sending from different accounts)
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2002 12:03:30
On 2002.01.29 19:53:17 -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I think you're ok with what you're doing.  Anti-relay provisions don't
> make decisions based on source address -- that's too easily spoofed --
> but on where the mail arrived.

Well I gave it a try (I use an almost identical set-up to yourself),
and it did work. Which is great.

But I find this a bit puzzling -- I thought anti-relay meant that it
would only relay for e-mail to or from someone within its relaying
domains. I.e. smtp.cs.ubc.ca would only relay for e-mail to or from
addresses of the form <*@*.cs.ubc.ca>.  So they instead check that
the machine sending the e-mail is within the domain? But then how
does e-mail sent *to* people within cs.ubc.ca from outside get accepted?

--
"Source code in files. How quaint." - Kent Beck
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell." - Aldous Huxley