Subject: Re: 3 questions about to limit bandwidth
To: None <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Lista de NetBSD Users <list10@sepc.edu.mx>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2002 12:26:41
> > NetBSD-1.5.2/i386. This month the traffic to our ISP
> > have grow a lot (incoming and outgoing) and the cause is
> > a lot of connections with service 1214 (kazaa, morpheus,
> > audiogalaxy, etc). I would like limit the bandwidth for
> > service 1214.
> >
> > Question 1
> > Can you recommend an open source package?
>
> does this services go/can go through proxy (i don't use it so asking)?
> is yes, force them going through proxy and use delay pools functionality
> in squid.

Thanks, Wojtek for your answer.
I am not sure what to answer about your question... Last night,
searching in the mailing lists of Squid I found this mail...
It seems the answer is "no".

/On Thursday 29 November 2001 15.26, Rafael Bayona wrote:
/> But not fine at all. I'm having problems with ICQ,
/> MSN Messenger, Morpheus, Audiogalaxy, real audio, etc.
/> I've investigated about what ports they use,
/> and they seem to be opened to me. (Acording to the line
/> acl Safe_ports port 80 21 443 563 70 210 1025-65535

/Neither of these are HTTP applications (well.. real audio
/can sometimes be tunelled over a HTTP proxy, but it is
/far from the best method). If you want to proxy these
/then other proxies will be required in addition to Squid.

/Other commonly employed methods are NAT,
/such as Linux Masquerading.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Heron Gallegos