Subject: Comp. Sci. Majors? (WAS: ...duction to GNU AS? (books on binut...)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2002 03:18:30
	A big thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.  The recommended
resources provide quite a few useful directions to move in.  A former
co-worker said he'd let me borrow another text which uses NASM style
macros in the examples.  I must say, I was surprised by the lack of
available subject matter on the topic, but I assume that has to with the
nature of my exploration (purely personal...it's not every day
light-reading), which leads me to my next topic, which is actually OT, so
feel free to contact me personally/off-list.

	I am currently investigating my 4-year college options, and
although I previously never gave it serious consideration, I think it
would be of benefit to accent my present major (Business/Administration)
with a Comp.  Science minor.  I'm assuming most of the current kernel
hackers of a computer/microelectronic engineering or computer science
background (or have just been at it so long by profession that it's second
nature ;-} ... ).

	I'm going to be investigating the programs of study at all of the
local sweat-shops, but for the most part, all of the curriculums exhibit
some sort of external similarities, including basically 3 years of
discrete mathematics classes of zero retainable value, followed by a
semester or two of actual hacking data structures (in something crazy like
Java), maybe an elective or two on Operating System Theory/Design, and a
senior project to prove that you didn't sleep through the last 5 years of
your life!  Such is the corrupt nature of American higher education, I'm
therefore looking for some personal insight/advice from those who've
experienced the pilgrimage.

	For those of you who have been there, are looking to be there, or
who are sending offspring, you know that you literally cannot afford to
make poor decisions, and the reality is, sometimes the advice of 'Academic
Advisors' can be somewhat misleading.  In addition, I'm learly /
untrusting of any curriculum in place at present in the field.  By the
time it takes an academic organizational body and faculty to approve a
curriculum, it's mostly likely dated, which Is why I'm investigating a
program at a smaller university wither a more competitive program.

Once again, thanks in advance for all the replys and advice!

-Brian