Subject: Re: OT: orbz.org - help needed
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/29/2002 18:41:19
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 10:54:33PM -0500, David Maxwell wrote:

> If you want to encourage responsible computing, then insist on people
> following the current acceptable procedures to talk to you. However, if
> you don't - don't be surprised if some people don't want to accept mail
> from you, as one of the 'delinquents'.

You are preaching to the choir. I was just citing examples of problems
with blacklisting, which I believe you can even read on the Orbz, Ordb,
and RBL sites.

I would love for certain requirements and accepted procedures and
standards to be be strictly enforced.

Of course, if I lose my current ISP, I don't know what I'd do. Other
local providers are not as good about being good net-citizens.

> > A company I worked for was blacklisted
> > because a customer's machine had an open relay. As I recall, it was
> > difficult for us to reverse the situation, and lawyers were involved.
>
> That's almost funny. There was a much simpler technical solution, that
> could have been accomplished in < 1/2h for almost any mailserver - less
> if you're familliar with the MTA in question.

Oh, I could have fixed the problem much easier, by pulling a cat5 cable
out of a router. IMHO they were clearly in violation of basic net
citizenship, and for reasons beyond just their open relay.

As I recall this was a legal/management decision, not an engineering
one.  But then, that was the source of most of our trouble...

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist