Subject: Re: OT: orbz.org - help needed
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-netbsd@alongtheway.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/28/2002 07:19:37
On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:01:44AM -0500, Shannon wrote:
> I understand the process and how it shouldn't be possible for errors
> to occur.  Please note I was talking about RBL and Orbz both.  Also
> note that 100% accurate means the filter lets all of my email through
> and only blocks SPAM.
>
> That means if Orbz blocks my friend's email, it's not 100% accurate,
> regardless of why. Filters only have meaning from my point of view: they
> have to block SPAM and only SPAM.

I disagree; ORDB/Orbz/etc. are not "spam-blocking engines" per se, just
open-relay blocking engines.  I realize you know this, but it's
important enough to mention that their intended purpose be kept in mind.

Personally, in the months I've been using ORDB and Orbz (the "inputs"
host; using "outputs" will net more casualties), I've only seen one
"legitimate" message denied, and it was not an "error" but rather an
unfortunate side-effect of that person's relay having indeed been open.
Working as advertised.  I told them to fix their machine.

FWIW, I choose not to use some of the other open-relay blocking hosts
because they either make it too hard to get _out_ of their database
(IMHO), or because they don't provide any [useful] error message to the
person whose mail got rejected.  The ones I would recommend are:

               relays.ordb.org,
               inputs.orbz.org,
               spews.relays.osirusoft.com