Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.5 and NFS - any suggestions?
To: Artem Belevich <art@riverstonenet.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2002 01:39:44
On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 04:27:18PM -0800, Artem Belevich wrote:
> These machines get most of their traffic as NFS clients but they also
> export some local filesystems.
>
> It's unclear what exactly causes systems lockups. So far there is a
> strong correlation between system getting stuck and compilation on the
> NFS-mounted filesystem. Lockups do not happen during the night, so it
> must be related to some user activity.

Hm.. it sounds like this is related to a machine being both a client
and a server, and having traffic for both functions. It's not
a configuration that is used often. Try pushing a machine using
it both as a client and a server, I suspect you may see the hangs
more often.

> Oh! I've just got one of the systems stuck. Here's top's output (pretty
> useless, though).

Ah, damn. I forgot that the 1.5.x top doesn't output the wchan
under 'state' by default.. "sleep" isn't useful. Oh well.

- Frank