Subject: Re: Problems installing 1.5.2 on a Compaq 12LX125
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2002 09:07:31
On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 05:40:21PM -0800, John Clark wrote:
> I have installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on a Compaq 12LX125 Laptop. The driver
> for the ether net pcmcia card I have seems to recognize the card, but
> then issues a 'where did the card go' failure message. I've rebuilt the
> kernel from the CD sources, with the same effect.
>
> The card inquestion is a Linksys PCMCIA card with does both 10 and
> 100 base T.

I have that exact same problem with my laptop. I have a Thinkpad 755CSE and
an IBM "Ethernet II" PCMCIA card. I also have the "Dock II" with the
built in SCSI controller and another ne200 card I added. When the laptop is in
the dock the pcmcia card is seen but then I get the same failure message as
you.  When the laptop is out of the dock the card works just fine. I
never did find a fix.

This was with NetBSD 1.4.x and possibly 1.5. I could do testing of a fix
perhaps but the machine currently has Lose95 on it, and the hard drive will
spin on a good day. Floppy boot should be OK, though.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"