Subject: Re: cdparanoia under NetBSD?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/05/2002 11:15:25
On the cold day of Jan 5, Manuel Bouyer mused:

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 12:53:10AM -0800, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> > Hello Malcolm,
> >
> > Try "-g /dev/rcd0g".  I'm a NetBSD newbie, but I recently got
> > cdparanoia working using /dev/rcd0c, and my SCSI drive is on scsibus0
> > target 2 lun 0, so I am guessing* that the letter of the raw scsi
> > device corresponds to the target number.  The minor number of the
> > device node would seem to back this guess.
>
> No it doesn't work that way: device number are assigned when devices are
> found: cd0 is the first cd drive found, cd1 the second, etc ...  it's not
> hardwired to SCSI IDs.

This makes sense.  But when using a SCSI generic device, how does one
determine which device node to use?  I have only one CD-ROM drive in my
system (NetBSD/alpha 1.5.2).  The drive is a SCSI CD/R/RW drive.  On
bootup, this is what I see:

cd0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <YAMAHA, CRW2100S, 1.0N> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable

When I use cdparanoia, the only device node that I was able to get it
working with was "/dev/rcd0c".  I understand the "rcd0" part; that is (r)aw
(cd) device (0).  But why "c" rather than "a" or "b"?  The (hypothetical)
example on www.netbsd.org shows this command:

	$ cdparanoia -g /dev/rcd0d 2 track-02.wav

Of course, "/dev/rcd0d" did not work for me.  I tried "a" and it didn't
work either.  Trial and error found that "c" did work.  What is the
determining factor in knowing which device node to use?

-bp
--
# bryanxms at ecst dot csuchico dot edu
# Software Engineer