Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/04/2002 01:50:26
Bjoern Labitzke writes:

>I'd like to believe that... Probably I know only crappy shops, but I
>haven't found a single one yet that offers any tape drives. (Okay,

Since you seem to be in Germany, at least one of the end-consumer
web shops, alternate (www.alternate.de), does sell various SCSI-
tape drives.  You'd probably want to get a used one, though,
since new ones are rather expensive (but, OTOH they aren't crud-
infested and come with warranty, always a question how much your
data is worth, of course.)  I use an old DDS1 DAT drive at home
(2 gig uncompressed capacity) which I got used for ca. EUR 100
two or three years ago.  For more modern drives with 40-80gig or
even 100 gig capacity, you'd have to calculate a couple thousand
euros, though and tapes aren't exactly cheap then either (but
still the least expensive medium compared to harddisks or CDs.)

--mkb