Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2002 14:14:29
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0201032000330.8382-100000@calchas.unixiron.org>, Mich
ael Kukat writes:
>Hi !
>
>On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Jim Breton wrote:
>> Anyone got thoughts on how one could reliably insert encryption (via
>> gpg) or compression (gzip) into the equation, and still get it output in
>> media-size chunks without having to play with temp files?  (Or even
>> _with_ temp files, but that would be a heck of a lot uglier, I think.)
>
>DESCRIPTION
>     The split utility reads the given file (or standard input if no file is
>     specified) and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each.
>
>Just look at the manpage... it can work with options like -b 666000k
>And it can read from stdin. But it can't write to stdout AFAIK. But this could
>be done with some lines in C to fit your needs.

Right -- that's why I suggested using portal_fs instead of Wojciech's
fifo solution.  dump | gzip | encrypt | split would work nicely with
a portal-invoked program that used the rest of the file name, per
mount_portal(8).

Of course, we're talking here about backups, and comments about portal
being "still experimental" make me nervous...

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com