Subject: Re: Suggestions for a backup solution
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/02/2002 17:22:12
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0201022315010.630-100000@chylonia.3miasto.net>, Wojci
ech Puchar writes:
>> >read a CDR for almost pocket change these days...
>> >

>> Which brings up another question:  what DVD writers are supported by
>> NetBSD?  Although the drives are expensive, the disk themselves -- even
>> the rewritable ones -- are cheap.  I know there's a debate about
>
>what i found in Poland (1PLN about 0.23$ don't remember exactly):
>
>(DVD-R) 3.95 GB NASHUA  82,78 (about 20$)
>(DVD-RAM) 5,2 GB TDK  138,90 (about 35$)
>
>is it cheap?
>
>4GB DDS-2 tape costs <<10$

But how many do you need?  The cost difference isn't that great, I
don't need many level 0s, and -- perhaps most important -- DVD readers
are reasonably common today, and are standard on most new machines
being sold in the U.S.  As someone else pointed out, access to a reader
is important, too.

>and what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RAM?

DVD-R is write-once, like CD-R; DVD-RAM is one of several contenders
for reuseable DVDs.

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com