Subject: Re: RAID disk failure
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@chylonia.3miasto.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/27/2001 14:19:11
> one way is to do this and use another 15GB as non-raid storage. another to
> ccd your 45GB disk with one on non-raid to make about 60GB, best is to buy
> 2 60GB (or 100GB?) disks and copy everything then remove&sell 45GB

Well, I got a 80 GB disk to get RAID fully up again.  I plan to move to
80 GB disks later (to replace the other IBM before it dies).

How do I reconstruct my RAID1 system?  raid0 consisted of /dev/wd4e and
/dev/wd5e and then /dev/wd4e failed.  After replacing /dev/wd4e and
disklabeling it, I ended up with

root@kyyhky ~ # raidctl -s raid0
Components:
          component0: failed
	             /dev/wd5e: optimal
No spares.
component0 status is: failed.  Skipping label.

If I try to 'raidctl -R /dev/wd4e raid0' as suggested by the raidctl manpage,
I get

raidctl: /dev/wd4e is not a component of this device

If I do 'raidctl -R component0 raid0', I get this in syslog:

Dec 27 14:17:15 kyyhky /netbsd: raid0: rebuilding: raidlookup on device:
component0 failed: 2!

I tried adding /dev/wd4e with -a and then reconstructing with -F and it
seemed to work, but after reboot, I ended up with the status shown above
again :-o

What's the trick? :)  Thanks!

  -jm