Subject: Re: Upgrading 1.4.3 to 1.5.x[Completed]
To: NetBSD-User <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/23/2001 22:38:59
On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 02:06:57PM -0500, Rick Byers wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Ian P. Thomas Ipt wrote:
>
> > 	I just finished downloading all the sources for 1.5.1, except
> > for xsrc.tgz.  At rouglhly 78 MB, I'm going to have to pull it down
> > overnight on my 56k dial up line.
> > 	After cleaning out everythinng in /usr/src, I unpacked the 1.5.1
> > sources.  I backed up my current kernel config along with /etc and
> > attempted to make build.  Here are the error messages:
> > [...]
>
> First of all, is there a reason you want 1.5.1 instead of 1.5.2?  I
> believe there were a number of serious bugs in 1.5.1.

	I'm still getting accustomed to what the difference is between
current and 1.5.2.  I figured 1.5.1 would have more bugs ironed out.
After doing some reading on the website, I moved up to 1.5.2 by applying
the diff.

> Yes, it would probably save you a lot of time if you just did a binary
> upgrade.  You need newer versions of some of the tools (i.e. make) just to
> build the system.  This sort of problem has been fixed in NetBSD-current
> (supposed to be able to bootstrap all the build tools from almost any
> environment), but is still a problem in NetBSD-1.5.  You might be able to
> get it to build by rebuilding the necessary tools in the correct order,
> but it might be tricky and would certainly take a lot of time...

	I did a binary upgrade of base, comp, and text, then did a make build.
This worked out o.k.

> > p.s. Why is xsrc.tgz so huge?  I checked the size of XFree86 4.1.0
> > sources and they are about 54 MB.  Does xsrc.tgz have 3.3.6 and 4.1.0?
>
> Yep.  Apparently some hardware isn't support by 4.1.0 so 3.3.6 is still
> included (and is the default I believe).

	It appears that the XFree86 Version is 4.0.3.  I did a binary install
of XFree86 Version 4.1.0 for 1.5 NetBSD and everything is working great except
for one thing, which I am going to post in a seperate message.

	Thanks for all the advice.  I'm finally up to speed at 1.5.2.

Ian
--
Of Course It Runs NetBSD
www.netbsd.org