Subject: Re: Upgrading 1.4.3 to 1.5.x
To: Ian P. Thomas Ipt <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Rick Byers <rb-netbsd@BigScaryChildren.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/22/2001 14:06:57
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Ian P. Thomas Ipt wrote:

> 	I just finished downloading all the sources for 1.5.1, except
> for xsrc.tgz.  At rouglhly 78 MB, I'm going to have to pull it down
> overnight on my 56k dial up line.
> 	After cleaning out everythinng in /usr/src, I unpacked the 1.5.1
> sources.  I backed up my current kernel config along with /etc and
> attempted to make build.  Here are the error messages:
> [...]

First of all, is there a reason you want 1.5.1 instead of 1.5.2?  I
believe there were a number of serious bugs in 1.5.1.

> 	All the tarball cksums match up.  Would it be better to do a
> binary upgrade from 1.4.3?  I'm hoping I can get make build to work
> because my download speeds on a 56k modem leave alot to be desired.
> The less I have to download, the better.

Yes, it would probably save you a lot of time if you just did a binary
upgrade.  You need newer versions of some of the tools (i.e. make) just to
build the system.  This sort of problem has been fixed in NetBSD-current
(supposed to be able to bootstrap all the build tools from almost any
environment), but is still a problem in NetBSD-1.5.  You might be able to
get it to build by rebuilding the necessary tools in the correct order,
but it might be tricky and would certainly take a lot of time...

> p.s. Why is xsrc.tgz so huge?  I checked the size of XFree86 4.1.0
> sources and they are about 54 MB.  Does xsrc.tgz have 3.3.6 and 4.1.0?

Yep.  Apparently some hardware isn't support by 4.1.0 so 3.3.6 is still
included (and is the default I believe).

Rick