Subject: Re: echo semantics (was ksh need help!)
To: David Laight <David.Laight@btinternet.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/20/2001 19:49:58
    Date:        Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:34:35 -0000
    From:        "David Laight" <David.Laight@btinternet.com>

  | No: because the sus version of echo (and the solaris one) don't
  | support -n (and none of them support --).

I wasn't demonstrating how to write portable code, I was just showing
that the -n arg to echo isn't a huge problem to transparency (just a
minor one), which the \ nonsense is.   That is, why NetBSD shouldn't
even consider altering echo to conform to SUS.

  | Unfortunately the 'printf' they mention isn't a shell builtin.
  | Using it slugs some scripts well into next week!

echo isn't necessarily a shell builtin either.

kre