Subject: Re: updating packages
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2001 15:59:28
There's also the infamous (because sometimes it happens you update one
little lib and end up - of course - with recompiling half of the stuff
which uses the lib :) 'make update' in the directory of the package you
want to update. This will (should ? Someone shoot me if I am wrong :)
deinstall the current package and what depends on it, compile the package,
install it, and recompile the packages which depended on it.

But if you do it, you can somehow end up with a little problem if there's
an error in the compilation process of the package you want to update,
because everything which depended on it will be deinstalled, and not reinstalled
in old version just because your package compile failed :)

[Sheesh I finally need to learn make syntax to understand what exactly
is going on because I think it could be helpful to FIRST compile and
THEN update (remove|reinstall) the package in case of compilation-
errors]

Hope that helped, too,

Martin Weber