Subject: Re: updating packages
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Chris Lloyd <strawberry@toth.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/14/2001 14:42:06
On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 06:48:56AM -0700, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> Often, when I try to install or update a package, the installation
> aborts because I need to update something else first.  Is there any
> tool that, if given a package name, will look through the dependency
> information and figure out everything that will need to be compiled?
> (A lovely enhancement would be if it could generate all of the
> appropriate 'make fetch' commands, so I could download everything and
> rebuild while running disconnected.)

You can use 'make show-depends-dirs' to get a list of the compile
dependencies that you'll need.

You can also use
for i in `cd graphics/gimp && make show-depends-dirs && cd ../..`; do cd $i && make show-distfiles && cd ../..; done

which will give you a list of all the files that will need to make the
update successful. (Replace graphics/gimp with what you're trying to install)

You could do:
for i in `cd graphics/gimp && make show-depends-dirs && cd ../..`; do cd $i && make fetch && cd ../..; done

to concatenate all the make fetches you'll have to do

This might be evil shell script, but what the hey it works :)
(On zsh, so probably sh and bash too)

 - Chris

--
strawberry@toth.org.uk