Subject: passing IPsec through ipnat
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/04/2001 20:54:01
I need to pass IPsec (tunnel mode) through a NetBSD-based NAT box.
No, I don't like it, and yes, I understand all the other limitations
of NAT and IPsec.  But with the service I have, I can't get more than
one IP address.

So -- is there any way to configure ipnat to pass all inbound IPsec packets
to go to a particular address?  "redir" seems to require a port number,
which of course ESP packets don't have.  Some commercial NAT boxes do
have the notion of a "default" inside address -- anything they don't
recognize, they pass to that host.  And I already know that the rest of
my (rather funky, non-NetBSD) IPsec stack will deal properly with this
sort of NAT.

The machine is currently running 1.5R, but I'm happy to upgrade it to a
more recent -current if that would help.  (There's been no reason to
touch it for a long time -- it's been up for 200 days now.)

		Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com