Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
To: None <bouyer@antioche.eu.org, ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2001 20:54:01
> From netbsd-users-owner@netbsd.org Sun Dec  2 19:58:18 2001
> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 01:38:46 +0100
> From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> To: "Ian P. Thomas" <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
> Cc: cjep@fawlty.net, netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.4 using patches
>
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 06:52:24PM -0500, Ian P. Thomas wrote:
> > 	I went ahead and applied the following two patches to get to 1.4.2
> > before getting this email,
> >
> > diff-1.4.1-to-1.4.2.gz
> > lfs-vs-netboot.diff
>
> I wouldn't have applied lfs-vs-netboot.diff, I suspect this will cause
> problems when applying the 1.4.3 patch.
>

> > 	I applied them in reverse order of what I have listed.  After applying
> > the second patch, diff-*, it could not find three files and prompted me for
> > there names,
> >
> > src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/kinit/kinit.c
> > src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/su/Makefile
> > src-1.4.1/domestic/usr.bin/telnet/externs.h
> >
> > 	I don't have a /usr/src/domestic directory so I'm pretty sure these
> > patches don't apply to my setup.  I did get the following build error,
> > though,
> >
> > yacc ns_parse.y
> > yacc e -line 0 of "ns_parse.y", unexpected end-of-line
> >
> > 	The file in question is
> >
> > /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named/ns_parse.y
> >
> > 	Should I go ahead and apply the 1.4.3 patch and hope it gets rid of
> > this problem?
>
> Check in /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named if there's any *.rej file. If so this
> means one of the patch failed.
> Maybe you can just get this via ftp from
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-release-1-4/src/

	I did just this.  There was a .rej in /usr/src/dist/bind/bin/named for
the above mentioned file, ns_parse.y.  I installed the one from the
NetBSD-1.4-release and I'm still getting the error.  Any chance this might
be a yacc error?  At any rate, my kernel compiles with the 1.4.3 patch
applied and I also found out what the domestic directory is.  Its the
sources to the security related items.  I installed secsrc.gz and the patch
only complains about three files that aren't there.
	This yacc error seems to be complaining about the first line of the
file.  This is strange because the first line is just the comment line and
as far as I can see there is no end-of-line on the first line.

Ian